Thursday, March 11, 2010

Musings on the West

I frequently have little moments in Thailand where I ponder the difference between here and home. I feel like the west has so many problems in so many areas: weight problems, anxiety and depression are so commonplace that most people just think it’s how things are, I did. We rush everywhere, drive too close to people, jump on our horns at the slightest provocation. We’re almost exclusively governed by little boys in old man bodies. We idolise some of the most damaged human beings on the earth, people so insecure in their own bodies that they spend their whole lives “fixing” themselves until they physically or mentally fall apart and we move on to the next round of fresh stars. We’re so removed from the natural that most of us don’t even know which fruits are in season right now and consequently end up being fed big, bright, shiny, and tasteless fruit and vegies which have been picked too early and kept for months on ice so we can have them the year around. We’re from the richest countries in the world, and yet in the end there’s no link whatsoever between money and a nations happiness. And ultimately we’re ruled by our money in the form of lobby groups and “studies” which push big monies agenda and globalisation onto our governments so that they can import Alaskan salmon to Tasmania where it’s caught locally anyway.

Why do we not idolise healthy and balanced human beings? People with wisdom and humility, non-violent world views, acceptance, and charisma which has nothing to do with their comeliness. Why don’t we hold these traits in high esteem? Why don’t we respect the wisdom of our elders? Why are we stuck with dogmatic religions which teach blind faith and indoctrinated principles instead of those which teach us to ask questions, train our minds, and consciously explore our world? Why don’t we notice when food isn’t satisfying and ask why? Why don’t we notice that we don’t notice things? And perhaps most importantly: why don’t we practice happiness and joy for life?

I’m certainly not preaching, I’m as guilty of most of these things as the next person, I’m just contemplating.

Some interesting things fuelling my mind:

Random interviews with Aung San Suu Kyi and the Dalai Lama (who often seems to have his own section in the book shops here).

“Paramount to the Thai philosophy of life is sànùk (fun)” – Lonely Plant: Southeast Asia

“gin lên, literally ‘eat for fun’.” – Lonely Plant: Southeast Asia

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it... unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense. – Buddha

Wow, I think I’m starting to get the hang of this whole blog thing :-P. It’s like a diary except that I get the vain gratification of knowing that other people will read it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Frank! Shirl sent me this link, and since I am in the blogosphere I thought I had better come and say Hi! I am just off to take Rose to a party and then I will read your news!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Frank face! Its mike face!!

    I see your getting pretty deep here in this one

    LOL "Why don’t we notice when food isn’t satisfying and ask why?", that is such text-book Frank… The kitchen at work has not been the same since your lunches stoped, its all hearty porridge, bread and potatoes back in the west.

    and just one thing:
    "Why don’t we respect the wisdom of our elders?"
    Then:
    “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it... unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense.” – Buddha
    I choose Buddha on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, thanks for pointing that one out Mike.

    I'm pretty sure Buddha wasn't saying we should NOT listen to what other people have to say. Just that it needs to be challenged against our own understanding of the universe rather than swallowed blindly because someone older or wiser said it. I think there's a lot to be said for learning from our elders, even if the wisdom we take from them is to avoid making the same mistakes they did.

    ReplyDelete